In order for us to continue providing great, free content, this post may contain affiliate links that we may earn a small commission on at no additional cost to you. Read our full disclosure.
Credit cards can be tools to build or improve your credit if they are used responsibly. Be sure to apply for a credit card that is suited to your credit (poor, fair, good) to ensure you are approved.
Remember the credit card best practices: only spend what you can afford to pay off each month, never miss a payment, pay your balance in full each month, and set up automatic payments for the minimum balance and calendar reminders for the full balance.
Unsecured Credit Cards
Unsecured credit cards are a type of line of credit that does not require a deposit. In contrast, secured credit cards, usually for those no credit history or poor credit, require an amount deposited to secure the line of credit. You can use unsecured credit cards to build your credit history and raise your credit score.
- All the benefits of a Mastercard, without a security deposit.
- Keeping your account in good standing may help establish and/or improve your credit history.
- Less than perfect credit is okay, even with a prior bankruptcy!
- Prequalify for a card today and it will not impact your credit score.
- Reports to all three major credit bureaus.
|Annual Fee||$59 – $99|
|Credit Recommended||Poor to Good|
First Access Visa® Card
- Checking Account Required.
- Reporting monthly to all three major credit reporting agencies.
- Perfect credit not required for approval; we may approve you when others won’t.
- Easy and secure online application.
- $300 credit limit (subject to available credit).
- Get a result in as little as 60 seconds upon completion of the online application.
- Online Customer Center available 24 x 7.
|Credit Recommended||Poor to Good|
Secured Credit Cards
Secured credit cards require a deposit to open the line of credit. The deposit is equal to your credit limit, so if you deposit $350 that will be your credit limit and it will be refunded when the account is closed in good standing. Secured credit cards enable those with little credit history or poor credit to improve their credit with on-time payments.
OpenSky® Secured Visa® Credit Card
- No credit check to apply and find out instantly if you are approved.
- OpenSky gives everyone an opportunity to improve their credit with an 85% average approval rate for the past 5 years
- Get considered for a credit line increase after 6 months, with no additional deposit required
- You could be eligible for the OpenSky Gold Unsecured Card after as few as 6 months
- Reports to all 3 major credit bureaus monthly, unlike a prepaid or debit card
- Nearly half of OpenSky cardholders who make on-time payments improve their FICO score 30+ points in the first 3 months
- Your refundable* deposit, as low as $200, becomes your OpenSky Visa credit limit
- Easy application, apply in less than 5 minutes right from your mobile device
- Offer flexible payment due dates which allow you to choose any available due date that fits your payment schedule
- Enjoy protection from unauthorized purchases with $0 fraud liability
|Regular APR||17.39% (variable)|
|Credit Limit||$200-$3000 at time of application|
*View cardholder agreement
The First Progress Platinum Elite Mastercard® Secured Card
- Receive Your Card More Quickly with New Expedited Processing Option.
- No Credit History or Minimum Credit Score Required for Approval.
- Includes Free Real-Time Access to Your Credit Score and Ongoing Credit Monitoring powered by Experian.
- Quick and Complete Online Application; No credit inquiry required!
- Full-Feature Platinum Mastercard® Secured Credit Card; Try our new Mobile App for Android users!
- Get a fresh start! A discharged bankruptcy still in your credit bureau file will not cause you to be declined.
|Regular APR||19.99% (variable)|
|Credit Recommended||Poor/Limited/No Credit|
|Credit Line||Up to $2,000|
CreditSoup – Credit Card Finder
Get matched with credit card offers based on your Free Credit Score! Our no cost, card offer matching system not only matches you to the right card but also provides you with a truly free Credit Score. The process is quick and straightforward and your results are available immediately. Get matched today!
Credit Card Articles
Learn how to be a responsible credit cardholder by reading through our articles below. You can learn more about picking a credit card, tips to improve your credit score and when to use your credit card.