In order for us to continue providing great, free content, this post may contain affiliate links that we may earn a small commission on at no additional cost to you. Read our full disclosure.
Credit cards can be tools to build or improve your credit if they are used responsibly. Be sure to apply for a credit card that is suited to your credit (poor, fair, good) to ensure you are approved.
Remember the credit card best practices: only spend what you can afford to pay off each month, never miss a payment, pay your balance in full each month, and set up automatic payments for the minimum balance and calendar reminders for the full balance.
Unsecured Credit Cards
Unsecured credit cards are a type of line of credit that does not require a deposit. In contrast, secured credit cards, usually for those no credit history or poor credit, require an amount deposited to secure the line of credit. You can use unsecured credit cards to build your credit history and raise your credit score.
- All the benefits of a Mastercard, without a security deposit.
- Keeping your account in good standing may help establish and/or improve your credit history.
- Less than perfect credit is okay, even with a prior bankruptcy!
- Prequalify for a card today and it will not impact your credit score.
- Reports to all three major credit bureaus.
|Annual Fee||$59 – $99|
|Credit Recommended||Poor to Good|
First Access Visa® Card
- Checking Account Required.
- Reporting monthly to all three major credit reporting agencies.
- Perfect credit not required for approval; we may approve you when others won’t.
- Easy and secure online application.
- $300 credit limit (subject to available credit).
- Get a result in as little as 60 seconds upon completion of the online application.
- Online Customer Center available 24 x 7.
|Credit Recommended||Poor to Good|
Secured Credit Cards
Secured credit cards require a deposit to open the line of credit. The deposit is equal to your credit limit, so if you deposit $350 that will be your credit limit and it will be refunded when the account is closed in good standing. Secured credit cards enable those with little credit history or poor credit to improve their credit with on-time payments.
OpenSky® Secured Visa® Card
- No credit check necessary to apply. OpenSky believes in giving an opportunity to everyone.
- The refundable* deposit you provide becomes your credit line limit on your Visa card. Choose it yourself, from as low as $200.
- Build credit quickly. OpenSky reports to all 3 major credit bureaus.
- 99% of our customers who started without a credit score earned a credit score record with the credit bureaus in as little as 6 months.
- We have a Facebook community of people just like you; there is a forum for shared experiences, and insights from others on our Facebook Fan page. (Search “OpenSky Card” in Facebook.)
- OpenSky provides credit tips and a dedicated credit education page on our website to support you along the way.
- View our Cardholder Agreement located at the bottom of the application page for details of the card.
|Regular APR||17.39% (variable)|
|Credit Limit||$200-$3000 at time of application|
The First Progress Platinum Elite MasterCard® Secured Card
- Invest your tax refund to improve your credit by making the refundable deposit for your new secured card today.
- Receive Your Card More Quickly with New Expedited Processing Option.
- No Credit History or Minimum Credit Score Required for Approval.
- Quick and Complete Online Application.
- Full-Feature Platinum MasterCard® Secured Credit Card.
- Nationwide Program though not yet available in NY, IA, AR, or WI *See Card Terms.
- Apply in just a few moments with no negative impact to your credit score; no credit inquiry will be recorded in your credit bureau file.
|Regular APR||19.99% (variable)|
|Credit Recommended||Poor/Limited/No Credit|
|Credit Line||Up to $2,000|
CreditSoup – Credit Card Finder
Get matched with credit card offers based on your Free Credit Score! Our no cost, card offer matching system not only matches you to the right card but also provides you with a truly free Credit Score. The process is quick and straightforward and your results are available immediately. Get matched today!
Credit Card Articles
Learn how to be a responsible credit cardholder by reading through our articles below. You can learn more about picking a credit card, tips to improve your credit score and when to use your credit card.